For access to J-2534 Information on the Volkswagen service information website:
- Click on "Reprogramming" at top of page.
- Click on "Introduction: Before You Begin" and "Devices: Recommended Pass Thru Devices for J2534 information.
For access to J-2534 Information on the Audi service information website:
- Run cursor over "Reprogramming".
- Click on "Immobilizer Instructions".
- Scroll down to "Recommended J2534-1 Pass Thru Devices
VIDEO: Reflashing demo of a 2013 Passat (9 min)
“Pass thru” vehicle re-programming with SAE J2534 device
Pass Thru re-programming over the Internet for 2004 and later vehicles using an SAE J2534-1 Pass Thru device and a laptop PC is available for certain applications. These are listed separately as Pass Thru bulletins. Since these are for specific concerns for specific models, all appropriate diagnostic procedures should be followed before attempting Pass Thru re-programming. Re-programming should only be performed if a technical bulletin provides direction to do so. This technique requires a secure un-interrupted Internet connection and a Pass Thru device that has been recommended for this application
System Requirements for performing update programming
· Pentium III, > 500MHz
· At least 128MB main memory
· At least 50MB memory available on hard disk
· Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows 98SE, Windows NT 4.0 (SP 6)
· Microsoft Internet Explorer, Version 5.0 onwards
· Java Runtime Environment version 1.5 or 1.6
· Un-interrupted, hard wired, internet link (wireless or cell phone access to the web site has not been tested and is not recommended for this function)
Notice: We recommend using Windows XP SP2 with Internet Explorer 6.0 SP2
Which Pass Thru appliances are currently recommended for update programming?
· I+ME Pass-Thru+XS
· DrewTech CarDAQ2534
· Available from Drew Technologies, Inc.
· Blue Streak iflash Global Programmer
· Available from Blue Streak Electronics
Notice: Currently Pass Thru re-programming supports SAE J2534-1 version 4.04 only. Please make sure that you have installed the appropriate driver for your Pass Thru device. For details read the documentation shipped with your device or contact the manufacturer.
How high is the volume of data transmitted during update programming?
During update programming approx. 4MB are transmitted via the Internet connection. If you do not have a Java runtime environment version 1.5, 1.6 or above installed on your computer, the Java run time environment must be installed the first time you call up update programming. Java version 1.5.0 runtime environment is approx. 16MB in size. Local administrator rights are necessary for its installation on your laptop PC.
Why do I need a permanent Internet link for update programming?
In order to avoid errors occurring during the update programming process it is important to understand that once started, the process can not be interrupted or disconnected and the PC must not be allowed to go into standby, hibernation or similar power management modes.
What happens if I have already paid and an error occurs during update programming?
The update programming which you have purchased can be run from this location any number of times until the process has been successfully completed.
This process is expressly intended for qualified professional automobile technicians. It is possible to permanently damage a vehicle control module if the process is done incorrectly or the wrong software is installed. Be sure to read all service materials carefully and follow the directions exactly.